Grievance Procedure


First, address the problem to A Bright Future, Inc. thru your Instructor or ILS / SLS Supervisor. They will attempt to resolve the problem informally if possible. If you are still not satisfied or the problem is still not fixed, you can file a formal complaint with the Program Director. You can do this by meeting with or calling the Program Director or you can put your complaint in writing and give it to them. If you are still dissatisfied or feel the issue is still not resolved, you can then file a complaint with the CEO. You will need to call and set up a time to meet with the CEO.

If you still are not satisfied with the outcome or feel a resolution has still not been met, you will be encouraged to report the problem to your Regional Center Case Manager from which you receive case management services.

Your Responsibilities:
  • It will be your responsibility as an A Bright Future, Inc. consumer to show up for your scheduled
appointments with your ILS / SLS Coordinator or contact them if you need to reschedule an appointment.
  • It is your responsibility to let us know if you have moved or are moving so we can update your files.
  • It is your responsibility to work toward your goals.
  • It is your responsibility to treat the staff with the same respect with which you would like to be treated.

Reasons we may consider terminating services
  • A Bright Future, Inc. would consider terminating services to you if any of the following happen:
  • If you repeatedly do not show up for scheduled appointments with your Instructor or Coordinator.
  • If you verbally abuse staff.
  • We will consider discontinuing services to anyone who we believe is a danger to themselves or others.
  • We encourage you to speak directly with the person using assertive communication to try to work it out. If you are not able to resolve the conflict directly with the person, please contact their immediate supervisor. If you need help with contact information, call the A Bright Future, Inc front desk for assistance.

In addition, you can also report complaints to DDS on their Complaints Page, or by phone at (916) 654-1987.


  ( Division 4.5 added by Stats. 1977, Ch. 1252. )
CHAPTER 7. Appeal Procedure [4700 - 4731]
  ( Chapter 7 repealed and added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 506, Sec. 2. )
ARTICLE 5. Access to Records [4725 - 4731]
  ( Article 5 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 506, Sec. 2. )
4731. (a) Each consumer or any representative acting on behalf of any consumer or consumers, who believes that any right to which a consumer is entitled has been abused, punitively withheld, or improperly or unreasonably denied by a regional center, developmental center, or service provider, may pursue a complaint as provided in this section.
(b) Initial referral of any complaint taken pursuant to this section shall be to the director of the regional center from which the consumer receives case management services. If the consumer resides in a state developmental center, the complaint shall be made to the director of that state developmental center. The director shall, within 20 working days of receiving a complaint, investigate the complaint and send a written proposed resolution to the complainant and, if applicable, to the service provider. The written proposed resolution shall include a telephone number and mailing address for referring the proposed resolution in accordance with subdivision (c).
(c) If the complainant is not satisfied with the proposed resolution, the complainant may refer the complaint, in writing, to the Director of Developmental Services within 15 working days of receipt of the proposed resolution. The director shall, within 45 days of receiving a complaint, issue a written administrative decision and send a copy of the decision to the complainant, the director of the regional center or state developmental center, and the service provider, if applicable. If there is no referral to the department, the proposed resolution shall become effective on the 20th working day following receipt by the complainant.
(d) The department shall annually compile the number of complaints filed, by each regional center and state developmental center catchment area, the subject matter of each complaint, and a summary of each decision. Copies shall be made available to any person upon request.
(e) This section shall not be used to resolve disputes concerning the nature, scope, or amount of services and supports that should be included in an individual program plan, for which there is an appeal procedure established in this division, or disputes regarding rates or audit appeals for which there is an appeal procedure established in regulations. Those disputes shall be resolved through the appeals procedure established by this division or in regulations.
(f) All consumers or, where appropriate, their parents, legal guardian, conservator, or authorized representative, shall be notified in writing in a language which they comprehend, of the right to file a complaint pursuant to this section when they apply for services from a regional center or are admitted to a developmental center, and at each regularly scheduled planning meeting.
(Amended by Stats. 2001, Ch. 171, Sec. 28. Effective August 10, 2001.)